Monday 22 December 2008

Only a few days to go

I have continued the stretching, but as usual other things get in the way.

I was watching a professional football match over the weekend, and we were sitting close behind one of the goals. We therefore had a good view of the goalkeeper. He was about 1.9metres - with just incredible flexibility - all the time he was stretching during the game to keep warm and muscles ready for action. He touched his toes in a flash - like a piece of rubber bending.. then would stretch up and touch the cross bar of the goal. This player was in his twenties, but there are some premier league goalkeepers who are still playing in their late 30's... so I guess they have similar flexibility - otherwise they couldn't do their job.

The referees were certainly less flexible, just watching the warm up was quite funny. However I shouldn't laugh because I would be even worse.

My wife challenged me to touch my toes last night - I was almost there after two or three attempts, but then my stomach muscle went into a spasm / cramp which was very painful and stopped the exercise. Of course she can touch her toes without problem. So in our household, the girls are winning over the boys.

No comments: