Sunday 25 May 2008

Wahl Massager








In a previous post I had mentioned using a massager. This is the one I have been using, a small hand held Wahl. I had noticed that massaging was one of the recommended actions for piriformis syndrome - but didn't fancy going to get a regular massage - so wondered if you could do something yourself at home. Looked through Argos catalogue and websites.. and this seemed to fit the bill. Ordered from Amazon, £20 delivered (I think).


It's a rechargeable system, so plug in and place in the base for a few hours. The unit is then handheld. To be honest I hadn't really thought about how powerful something like this would be. I am a bit underwhelmed with the massaging aspect - it's basically a glorified vibration. However the "infra-red" heating is quite impressive for the size. It just looks like 5 red LED's - but if the battery is well charged, this can put out enough heat - almost too hot to touch. However you need to make sure there is good skin contact. When my hamstrings are sore after some stretching and exercise - it's a relaxing thing to use. Only problem is the battery discharges quite quickly if you use vibration and the heat together - and the charger has a buzzing noise. You don't know when it is fully charged, though perhaps I didn't read the instructions properly. I suppose for £20 you can't expect much really - however I like the infra red as a quick shot of heat treatment always can come in useful.


No comments: