Saturday 10 May 2008

Finding some hope outside the NHS

So the National Health Service (NHS) hadn't been able to help me. I don't have a private medical insurance either.

However my back and leg pain was both hurting and making me depressed. You can't do anything with the pain and the range of my movements had decreased dramatically.

Over the Easter holiday I pushed myself to find an answer. I looked through the local newspaper, looked at websites to find anything I could about sciatica. It was at this point I started to realise that I didn't have the classic sciatica, but what people term Piriformis syndrome. My X-Ray had shown there was nothing wrong with my back, and all of the symptoms of Piriformis syndrome seemed to apply to my condition. At least I had a starting point.

The main treatment it seemed to be was physiotherapy - with both stretching/massage techniques.

I started ringing around private physiotherapists.. and found one in my local village. I made an appointment that evening.

My life had started to change for the better.

2 comments:

TanyaMc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TanyaMc said...

Have you ever heard of or looked into Femoral Acetabular Impingement? www.hipfai.com is a good primer. The doc thought I might have piriformis, but an injxn ruled it out, and I have recently had surgery for FAI. TYLTK.