Saturday 28 June 2008

MRI Scan of Lower Back

approx 8 months have passed since my GP first diagnosed Sciatica. After a lot of searching, my personal diagnosis was piriformis syndrome and with some effective physio the pain has significantly diminished. Nobody in the medical teams I have spoken to have talked about piriformis. So today I went for my MRI scan, and I hoped to get a more definiative answer.

The MRI unit was a mobile one, installed into a lorry trailer.

The staff were very nice and friendly, and explained what would happen during the scan. I thought it would be similar to an X-Ray - but it was totally different to how I had imagined. I needed 3 scans and each took 3-4minutes. So in total I was in this tube for more than 10minutes. It is pretty claustrophobic in the tube and the noise is intense, despite using headphones. It's like a noise from doctor Who.

Unfortunately, no results today. Apparently the scans might be sent to South Africa?.. so maybe within a few weeks I can expect the result.

No comments: